Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Review

Lark Rise (Essential.penguin)Lark Rise by Flora Thompson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wonderful descriptive book about the small English country village of Lark Rise, in the 1880's. Chapters include the way of living of various inhabitants, school life, home life routines, holiday times, church attendance, harvestime and relationships to one another. Also includes childrens' games with verses. As the first of a trilogy of books, Flora Thompson sets the foundation for the stories to follow as she wrote this based on her own life.



Coming late to the knowledge of this endearing author and also the PBS series "Lark Rise to Candleford", I have only recently viewed the first two years of the series. Both the book and the series are just brilliant. The series covers 4 years and has now been concluded to the dismay of so many. This is a wonderful book to retrieve a sense of what life was really like at the time. As an enduring Anglophile, I heartily recommend it.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. So funny Linda!

    I have just recently discovered this series as well. I loved it! I need to read the book.. I just love Queenie and Dorcus. What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails