Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review

DocDoc by Mary Doria Russell


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed this book and wish I could have lived for just a bit during the 1880's and met Doc Holiday.




I chose it as I have read other books by this author and they have all been excellent. Doc Holiday was a very likable young man who was plagued by tuberculosis, the disease that also took the life of his beloved mother. He came to Dodge City Kansas from the south to improve his health and worked as a dentist as his health allowed. He was good friends with the Earp brothers, including the most famous, Wyatt Earp.




Many books of the time, especially the "dime novels" greatly embellished the life of Holiday and credited him with a much more lively and crime-filled life than was true. I was glad to know at the conclusion of this story, that although fiction, the author stuck quite close to actual facts where it mattered most.




Being from Kansas makes this story even more interesting for me. Our past is filled with so many interesting people and events that are amazing to learn about. Russell makes the telling of the life of Doc Holiday a true joy to read.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails