Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review

Forgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the PagesForgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages by Michael Popek


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Having worked in a library for many years and finding so many fun things in books, reading this is like being back there once again for me. Turning each page is a bit like opening a gift to see what is there.




Michael Popek, bookseller, has compiled a clever assortment of various bits left in old books. Many letters or notes, recipes, trade cards, advertisements and much more to delight the avid reader.




The actual book the items were found in is also listed and shown. A fun, fun journey to page through!




View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a nifty little read, Linda. I collect old textbooks, mostly from the early 1900's, and I love finding little comments and notations written in the margins. One of my favorites is a ppst-World War I seventh grade history book owned by a boy named Dan Whitford, who wrote on one page, "If you want to know who my girl is, look on page 399." There's no name written there at all. Ah, seventh graders! Interesting observation about this history book - there's some real anti-immigrant material in it; it talks about immigrants as "easily led by agitators", "the ignorance and the low standard of living of many of the immigrants who have come to this country in recent years," and how "the order of intelligence is lower than the class of immigrants that had come previously." Amazing. It even uses the phrase "ignorant foreigners." The copyright of this book is 1920.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I read his blog! That is so awesome that he wrote a book, too. He's always giving things away, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I read his blog too......."book per diem" and I meant to mention it in the review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails