Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Book Review

Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian EnglandInside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England by Judith Flanders


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Such an insight into the ways of life in another time; a time when not only everything was so much more work, but a time when propriety reigned.




This book takes us through the house, room by room and what it meant to live in Victorian times. I learned so much about their lives and how mistaken Americans have been about some things, such as what we call "High Tea".




A book to make one grateful for all of our energy saving and time saving ways of life today, but also one to ponder at the hard working souls who came before us.




Includes explanations of meal servings and table settings, the ways various rooms were used and why, the sickroom and death and funeral and mourning customs. A great look into woman's roles and how men formed them.








View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! You read it and enjoyed it! I still use this book for reference in my writing. Flanders must have done some intense research for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday StarShine!!!! I added this book to my ever growing list. You make it sound absolutely wonderful!!! Right now I am still reading Stones from the River and loving it. You know I am "slow" at that, as everything I do, but eventually.......I get it done. Have an awesome day AND DON'T FORGET..eat ice cream AND cake!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails