Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Book Review - The New House

The New HouseThe New House by Lettice Cooper


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Written in 1934 and set in those days, this story revolves around a family who faces "removal" to a new home due to the death of the father and more limited resources. Its' 319 pages cleverly consists of three parts: Morning, Noon and Night.

What might be utterly boring becomes insightful gleanings from each family member as their thoughts and conversations meander between the present day and past ones. We are given glimpses into the inner workings of their personalities and are either charmed by them or repelled.

I found myself agreeing with various thoughts and cheering on one of the characters to buck up and become more of her own person. I also saw myself in a more negative tone with some of their thoughts.

Although the times and customs are quite different now, I would call this book ageless, as it deals at heart with the constant human condition of relationships in families.




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good! The thirties --- great books, great movies, great fashions! Busy here on the farm as usual. I haven't read anything new in awhile --- still working on David Copperfield, the only Dickens book I haven't read!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails